If you have seen some of my recent What I Ate Wednesday posts, you may notice an over abundance of beef liver pâté. I made this on a whim (and because I had 3 lbs of beef liver in the freezer) and I am completely in love. I followed this recipe as a general outline, but modified to be the one below. My favorite way to eat it so far is just with plantain crackers. However, I just got a new dehydrator (so excited!) so there may be some new cracker additions soon 🙂
- 1 lb of grass-fed beef liver, cut into thin slices or chunks. Mine came from US Wellness Meats
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 Tbsp minced garlic (I like garlic A LOT)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (balsamic or red wine vinegar would also taste great with this)
- 1-1.5 Tbsp rosemary
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- ~1 cup total of olive oil and coconut oil or bacon fat
- Fry the liver and onions in ~2 Tbsp of the coconut oil or bacon fat (or lard or duck fat…but not the olive oil).
- When the onions are caramelized and the liver is cooked through, add the garlic, cider vinegar, rosemary, and thyme.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the liquid from the vinegar is reduced.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a food processor with 1/4-1/2 cup of olive oil or coconut oil.
- Process until smooth, adding the remaining olive or coconut oil as you go to give a moist, creamy final product.
- Portion into containers for freezing. I split mine in half (I started with a 1-lb liver), so one liver makes two-weeks worth of breakfast for me.
When I first started moving toward real food, I never thought I would end up making my own pâté. So far, it is my favorite way to eat liver.
What is your favorite way to eat liver?